The Wickham Farmhouse

More From Charlottesville More From Virginia

Believers in the treasure trove of Southern hauntings can certainly make their case here.

IN THE BEGINNING

The house was built in 1781 by Richard Durrette.

The current resident, Mary W., prefers the house to be called “Wickham,” not its true designation, in order to protect her anonymity.

She acquired the house and land in 1951, and has resided here since then. When the fireplace was rebuilt prior to 1938, before Mrs. W. owned the place, an inscription turned up explaining that Hessian – soldier prisoners from a nearby barracks had helped build the chimney in 1781. Three thousand prisoners were kept in barracks nearby. Some stayed afterwards and married local girls.

 

GHOSTLY ENCOUNTERS AND OCCURRENCES

Early in her residence, she heard the distinct sound of someone walking back and forth upstairs. Mrs. W. was stunned to look out a window and see her entire family outside, some twenty yards away near the barn!

It is unclear if previous residents had any ghostly encounters of their own.

MANIFESTATIONS

General Activity

Early in her residence, she heard the distinct sound of someone walking back and forth upstairs.

Mrs. W. was stunned to look out a window and see her entire family outside, some twenty yards away near the barn!

Previous Residents neglected to tell her if they had any activity.

LOCATION

The “Wickham” House’s owner does not wish to be bothered.

Discreet photography or videography of the house may be possible, but is not encouraged.

Put yourself in her place; Privacy should be respected.

 
Our Haunted Paranormal Stories are Written by Julie Carr

Haunts in Charlottesville Haunts in Virginia