Eagle Hotel

More From Pennsylvania

This is a place where the spectral supervisor can learn your name, especially if you work here!

Frustration can lead to dire acts at the Eagle Hotel.

DESCRIPTION

The 1825 Eagle Hotel is a solid, three story, stone commercial building with curb appeal that is truly magnificent. The Georgian stonework is most impressive. The interior woodwork and floors date back to the mid-1800s and have been carefully restored.

The Sugar n Spice Corporation has leased some space in the hotel building, with a restaurant on the first floor that features Amish cooking. They share the second floor with The Fort Le Boeuf Historical Society‘s museum.
They have extra tables there to occasionally take care of an overflow of customers.

It is like stepping back in time when the visitor enters the first floor Sugar n Spice Restaurant, which I would describe as a classy, historic, peaceful place, simple yet elegant.

There are two large dining areas and the kitchen. Impeccable, well-kept hardwood floors are found throughout the space. Simple but beautiful wooden tables with 19th century spindle chair replicas give tje authentic feel of historical upscale dining place sure to please today’s patrons, spectral well-to-do patrons and apparently one phantom owner from years past.

The Fort Le Boeuf Historical Society has period displays on the second floor and third floor ballroom. The second floor former guest rooms feature furniture and items from an assigned time period, honoring “Waterfordpeople of renown.”

The ballroom has many pictures and historical memorabilia on the walls, and many artifacts from Waterford town’s history in display cases, some of which were donated by families who have deep roots in the town.

The addition has been used as an apartment to give added living space used by owners, employees, and tenants. It is currently used for storage.

 

HISTORY

In 1753, The French were the first inhabitants of Waterford. The French military built Fort Le Bœuf on the French Creek fork, called Le Boeuf Creek. This fort and its sister forts, Fort Presque Isle, Fort Machault, and Fort Duquesne, were supposed to bolster the French government’s resolve to hold onto their land in Ohio County. This was not to be.

The British government noticed this encroachment. Pennsylvania Governor Robert Dinwiddie sent young George Washington and his protective team of men to present a letter to the Commandent of the fort, Jacques LeGarder de Saint Pierce, who had just taken the place of Commandent Paul de Lorain who had died suddenly. The letter warned the French that they had better leave.

The town of Waterford is very proud of its historic connection with George Washington, and commissioned a statue of George in 1922, when they created Washington Statue Park. It is not far from The Eagle Hotel, just up the street.

Six years later, in 1759, the French burned the fort down and left. The British came and built their own fort here, but it was burned in 1763 by attacking Native Americans who were part of the tribes rebellion. They tortured both soldiers and civilians before killing them in painful ways. In 1795, the Americans built their fort here as well, on the same spot as the other two forts. They built a Block House to give settlers more protection.

The town of Waterford was built on top of not only where the French, English, and American forts stood, but also the forts’ cemeteries, with the remains of their dead still interred. The Eagle Hotel was build over French soldiers’ graves, and that of one high officer.

While these graves were left intact, minus their headstones, other graves were totally destroyed. To pave the roads of Waterford in the early 1800s’, one old cemetery, still free of development, was dug up and its dirt and remains were used to do the job. The headstones were moved to the remaining town cemetery.

Waterford’s early claim to fame is that it became the “terminal and distribution point” for the New York salt industry, which led to a boom in town growth, and the establishment of a commercial district along High Street. The Eagle Hotel and Judson Store were the first two commercial buildings constructed in Waterford’s new commercial center.

In the early 1800s, it was popular to use the stage coach as a way to travel. Business was booming because of the huge number of travelers from Pittsburgh to Waterford. Some were involved in the salt commerce enterprise while others were participating in other businesses that became established in Waterford.

A variety of inns became available to these visitors, some of which sprung up from the innkeepers’ own homes. An inn in someone’s home wasn’t nearly fancy enough for people with money. The beginning of The Eagle Hotel started in 1826, when the need for accommodations for upperclass merchants, the elite, and dignitaries became evident in this rough frontier town.

The Eagle Hotel was the dream of Thomas King. He was the son of Robert King, who brought his famly here in 1795 as one of the first families who settled, becoming prominent members of the village. The Judson family moved to Waterford in 1798.

Thomas hired master builder Ebenezer Evans. He wisely used stone from a nearby quarry instead of wood, to build his three story Georgian masterpiece, a solid, sturdy structure that survived two fires and the ravages of time.

Along with the hotel on the property there was a stage coach stop with a high quality livery stable attached, attracting business from the stage coach operators. Later in its history, travelers came by train and bus.

Floor one was the lobby, bar and restaurant. Floor two had the guest rooms, while floor three was the spring floor ballroom, used for upperclass parties, receptions and other events.

The Eagle Hotel hosted many distinguished guests, as it became “a social site for politicians, dignitaries, and the elite populace.”
President Zachary Taylor enjoyed his stay there.

Amos Judson, the owner of the Judson Store, bought The Stone Hotel, perhaps changing its name to The Eagle Hotel. He owned it from 1842-1853. Mr. Judson expected perfection from his employees.

A chambermaid, named Matilda (Tillie) may have tried her best but her work was always criticized, never praised. She may have been fired, which pushed her over the waterfall into mental illness in 1845 when she raced up the staircase in a manic state of mind, setting fires as she went. The resulting blaze gutted the inside and killed Matilda.

After taking one year to rebuild, the hotel opened once again to great success. Since the 1860s, it was advertised as a resort, one of the finest hotels in the country. The Eagle Hotel has had many owners and great success as a top-notch establishment through many eras.

By 1900, it was also promoted as “a hotel for commercial men.” It had become an important place to stay for traveling salesmen, who would rent a horse and rig to travel around the area to sell their wares and services.

During the era of the big bands, many band members stayed here when they were in town for one-night gigs.

Though its historical significance was documented in 1933 by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), The Eagle Hotel was only added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, after The Fort Le Boeuf Historical Society came to its rescue and bought it. Though its structural bones were strong, it was a little creaky, in need of some restoration and renovation to bring it back as a 20th Century commercial business.

The Fort Le Boeuf Historical Society enthusiastically restored it over time, replacing decrepit interiors of rooms, revitalizing wooden floors, and then renovating the first floor kitchen (from October 1997 to February 1998). After all the other upgrades were completed to bring it up to code, the plan was to lease the first floor out to a restaurant, and turn the other two floors into their own museum of history.

However, when Sugar n Spice approached them about leasing not only the first floor, but also parts of the second floor to seat overflow guests, the society agreed with their offer, and shared the second floor with them. The bedrooms on the second floor now house period exhibits which honor “Waterford people of renown” from different time eras. The ballroom has great displays and items showcasing the history of Waterford.

The Eagle Hotel is an important part of the Fort LeBoeuf Historical Campus that also includes The Amos Judson House (31 High St.) the Fort LeBoeuf Museum (103 High St.), the Fort Le Boeuf Center, and the French and Indian displays (108 High St.), Washington Statue Park and Teaching Garden (18th Century Soldiers Garden) located at 13 High Street. The Campus season runs from May 1st-October 31st)

HISTORY OF MANIFESTATIONS

There are several reasons why this building comes with spirits who are not happy, two who are angry, and with one who is very concerned about the restaurant staff’s work ethics. Some spirits find peace here, trying to work through their painful deaths or destroyed graves).

 

Disturbing graves, moving remains, and using remains to build other things for the living can cause a boatload of restless, unhappy spirits.

Easton Library, PA (The town committee chose the old German Cemetery to build their Carnegie-funded library. Graves that were not claimed were dug up and the remains were dumped in a mass grave that was paved over to be part of the parking lot. Many spirits moved into the new library).

Montauk Manor, Long Island, NY (When they built Montauk Manor, they dug up many bones, suggesting that the land was a burial ground for Native American chiefs and tribal leaders. They crushed the bones and mixed them in with the building foundation. One spirit of a chief decided to become the protector of the building, while three other spirits were pretty angry but only appeared once, due to the efforts of the spirit of the chief).

El Campo Santo Cemetery, CA (Building over part of this cemetery has caused issues with a boatload of restless spirits).

The Eagle Hotel, PA (The street in front of it was paved with the dirt and human remains from an old cemetery, creating many unhappy spirits roaming outside).

 

Buildings that experience a major restoration can activate the spirits still attached to it.

Hartford Twain House Museum, CT (In 1929, the Clemens family home was restored from a rickety mess to what it originally was meant to be. The departed spirits of the Clemens family moved back inside).

The Geiser Grand Hotel, OR (When it was restored and renovated from its sorry state of being – a home for birds – to its original glory, the attached spirits were so excited that they tried to encourage the workers doing the restoration and renovation chores!).

The Pittock Mansion Museum, OR (When the retirement home of Henry and Georgiana Pittock was restored to its former glory, and their personal items were put back inside, the Pittock spirits moved back to act as hosts and even help the docents and paranormal investigators).

The Eagle Hotel, PA (The restoration and renovation of the building activated the spirits who were residing here, and willing to communicate with the living. The spirit of owner Amos Judson feels safe to continue his life’s work. Matilda and other spirits try to work through their unhappiness, anger or madness that has caused their restlessness and kept them stuck here).

 

When spirits die still holding a grudge, or are unhappy or angry, they continue in their afterlives to act out as much as they dare.

Bodie’s John S. Cain House, CA (John had hired a beautiful Chinese woman to help with the chores, and take care of the Cain children. When his wife objected to her, John fired her. The reputation of the Chinese woman was destroyed, which prevented her from finding respectable work. She killed herself. Her spirit moved back inside, and still holds a grudge against Bodie National Park Rangers and their wives).

Colonel Michael Swope Townhouse, VA (When the townhouse was restored, the spirit of Col. Swope made it clear that no British person would own his house because of the horrid treatment he received as a POW from his British captors).

Monmouth Plantation, MS (The restless spirit of General John A. Quitman had no faith in the new owners because a bunch of dolts let his prized retreat home slip into disrepair and shabbiness! The new owners proved to be competent, and restored it. He was pleasantly surprised and started to help them, becoming the protector of the property).

The Eagle Hotel, PA (The spirit of Matilda is still upset and out of control. Many unhappy spirits whose graves and body remains have been used to pave the roads, are restless indeed).

 

When the living construct a building over graves of the dead and buried, the spirits have been known to wander outside looking for their headstone or even come inside the building to see if it is there. They can also be angry and act out.

Cincinnati Music Hall, OH (The hall’s being built on top of mass graves has caused trouble from angry spirits and has resulted in spectral patrons attending concerts for free).

El Campo Santo Cemetery, CA (Building over part of this cemetery has caused issues with a boatload of restless spirits).

Belcourt Castle, RI (The castle was built over a forgotten grave, which resulted in a spirit moving inside).

The Eagle Hotel, PA (The hotel was built over French soldiers’ graves, that has caused one angry spirit, who was and is still not afraid to confront the living and claim territory).

 

Spirits sometimes like to visit a place where they have experienced good times.

Crystal Ballroom, OR (Spirits still enjoy themselves here, and watch the living).

Coral Gables Biltmore Hotel, FL (Prohibition parties are still going on on the 13th floor, with some spirits reliving their parties, and others dancing in the hotel’s ballroom).

Goodman-LeGrand House and Museum, TX (Apparently, grand parties still take place, as spirits remember their good times. This includes music, talking and perhaps dancing the waltz. Caretakers have been invited).

The Eagle Hotel, PA (The ballroom is a popular place for partying spirits).

 

Spectral former owners of items that are on display in museums or libraries, sometimes like to visit them.

Clayton House Museum, AR (Apparently, some of Powell Clayton’s most treasured possessions are on display in a case in the office area, which explains why this spirit visits so often).

Buffalo Bill’s State Park Ranch, NE (The spirit of Buffalo Bill loves to stay here in his old room in this fully restored property, marveling at all his memorabilia, furniture and possessions on display).

Custer House At Fort Abraham, ND (The spirits who loved this place must be thrilled to not only see their old, comforting habitat historically restored, but their actual favorite stuff as well being on display).

The Eagle Hotel, PA (At least one spirit loves to visit an item that was donated and is on display).

 

MANIFESTATIONS

The Spirit of Amos Judson

The spirit of Amos Judson has become active, now that his hotel has been renewed and opened as a restaurant.

He considers himself the spirit in charge, and takes pride in the way his building is being used.

His spirit sometimes stands on the staircase, watching people who come inside.

He has claimed a second floor room, and has been known to let people know that it is his room by touching them, despite the fact that it is part of a historical display.

This spirit likes to rearrange items because he has found a better place for them. He asserts his authority because he is the spectral owner.

Don’t Skip Steps

The spirit of Amos has jumped in to help manage in his old stern way.

This spirit feels qualified to help keep an eye on the current living employees working in the restaurant.

He has high standards for the work being done.

Staff members get personal attention, often hearing their names being pronounced by a firm, disembodied voice, letting them know that they are being watched, so they better do a good job.

They feel an unseen presence scrutinizing their work, which makes them feel uncomfortable.

The Spirit of Matilda or Tillie

She had a bad end, and is still unhappy, very angry, and mentally ill.

She can be stuck in a manic frame of mind, running down the halls, up and down stairs, sometimes through people, creating a cold breeze.

When she isn’t taken over by mental illness, she can be cordial and talk to investigators.

She likes to look out the window at the Amos Judson House Museum across the street.

Showing Her Frustration

The spirit of Matilda shows how she feels by turning mats over, opening and slamming kitchen cupboards, and does other small, disruptive actions.

She only goes so far because she may be afraid of the spectral supervisor Amos, who even now probably keeps her in check.

The Spirit of Commandent Paul de Laraine

Always ready for a fight.

Being a brave man in life, his spirit is not afraid of confronting the living.

He is very upset and angry that his grave and the graves of his men were disrespected by the living when they built a hotel on top of them.

Because his grave is located under the basement of The Eagle Hotel, he is possessive of this space, and makes it really uncomfortable for the living who he feels are trespassing in his basement.

Because of his aggressive, in-your-face actions, most paranormal groups don’t last long while investigating there, but there are exceptions.

He yells in investigators’ ears, “Get Out!” He scratches the living if they stay. Still in a foul mood.

His Cordial Moments

After scratching a cameraman, and being gently scolded by another investigator, he was willing to talk to them.

He likes people who served in the armed forces. He became more receptive when he was told that an investigator had been in the military.

He has the company of the spirits of soldiers who were buried near him, perhaps also in the basement.

Spirits Inside

The spirits of British soldiers who were killed in the attack of 1763, like to hang out in the first floor dining rooms.

One British soldier, twenty-year-old Benjamin, made himself known to investigators.

Spirits Outside

The spirits whose graves were used to pave the street outside of The Eagle Hotel, peer into the windows of all the hotel’s floors, tapping on the windows.

The spirits of French or British soldiers wander around the outside property looking confused as they try to find where their remains were buried.

Ashley, the medium who works with the Behind the Shadows Paranormal group, saw three soldiers, trying to find something using the light of a lantern outside on the street near The Eagle Hotel.

Spirits in the Ballroom

Spirits are attached to this space, as they like to revisit and remember all the great times they experienced here while alive.

One investigation group opened the door and watched an expansive white fog floating around until it gradually disappeared.

The Spirit of Margaret

She likes to visit her pin that is on display in one of the display glass cases.

She has been seen by the living.

One investigator from Behind the Shadows got an EVP that said “Roses, Margaret.” Margaret had donated her pin that was on display right in front of two cups with roses painted on them.

PARANORMAL FINDINGS

Paranormal activity has been experienced by the docents of the museum, mediums, paranormal investigators, and the staff and manager of the restaurant.

Hard evidence has been caught by many investigators through EVPs and some videos.

Behind the Shadows Paranormal investigators caught some important ones.

Amos let them know that he was the spirit in charge.

The angry, in-your-face spirit told them his name, Commandent Paul de Laraine, and that he is also upset that his men’s graves were also disrespected.

Eerie Voices Paranormal group talked to the spirit of Matilda, who cordially answered their questions. Yes, she did die in the fire. She is an intelligent spirit, and not residual energy.

Be sure to watch the tube links of the investigations done to learn more of their evidence caught.

 

STILL HAUNTED?

Yes indeed, as is all of the town of Waterford. Both personal experiences of people and all the hard evidence that was caught on EVPs and video makes it obvious that unhappy and happy spirits call this place home.

Perhaps the town could make a marker for all the people buried in the old cemetery that was dug up, to make amends.

It might make the spirit of Commandent Paul de Laraine happier if his grave was marked in the basement with a cross and a marker identifying his remains. A marker for the other unknown soldiers would be good as well. This may give Laraine and others some peace, perhaps enough to go to the other side to be with family.

Matilda is stuck here because of her mental issues. Amos loves being a spectral owner once again. These two will be hard to move on, and may stay indefinitely. The ballroom spectral visitors continue to enjoy the place of good times. Margaret is still very proud to see her pin on display.

 

LOCATION

32 High Street
Waterford, PA

The Eagle Hotel is located on High Street, right across from the Judson House Museum. Both historic buildings are part of the Fort LeBoeuf Historical Campus, which owns both buildings and the other historical sites that are located in one square block at the south end of Waterford, PA.

SOURCES INCLUDE

  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VCaMcmUNU
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdbvltL3kH0
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrhJCHjoII
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFvVozERQEo
  • https://fortleboeufhistory.com/campus/eagle-hotel/
  • https://fortleboeufhistory.com/campus/washington-park/
  • https://fortleboeufhistory.com/campus/eagle-hotel/
  • http://www.strangeandcreepy.com/this-174-year-old-former-hotel-has-a-creepy-haunted-past/#google_vignette
  • https://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/eagle-hotel/
  • https://scaryhq.com › haunted-eagle-hotel-waterford-pennsylvania
  • https://www.goerie.com/story/news/local/2016/10/20/throwbackthursday-eagle-hotel-hauntings/24568903007/
    ThrowbackThursday: Eagle Hotel hauntings in Waterford
    Sarah Grabskisgrabski@timesnews.com
  • https://paranormallegacy.com/the-history-of-the-eagle-hotel/
    This 194-Year Old Former Hotel Has a Creepy Haunted Past

Our Haunted Paranormal Stories are Written by Julie Carr

Our Photos by Tom Carr unless otherwise credited in sources

Haunts in Pennsylvania