(Back to Idaho Haunted Index)
Idaho State University -
Place - Idaho University at Pocatello
921 South 8th Avenue
http://www.isu.edu * (414) 342-9767
The city of Pocatello and The Idaho
State University can be found where 15; North-south and 86/84; West
Interstate highways meet.
The city of Pocatello, which can
be found along the old Oregon Trail, on the Snake River Plain, was long
known as "The Gate City" to the area's "economic and educational development."
DESCRIPTION AND HISTORY:
In 1810, trappers came and started
the development ball rolling, which resulted in city hood for Pocatello
in 1882. In 1834, Fort Hall was built, only 8 miles north on the Oregon
Trail. During the gold rush of the 1860s, stages and freight lines
came through Pocatello's Portneuf Valley which all traveled to the West
Coast and back again. The railroad, originating from Utah, was built
through Pocatello in 1876, which wound up connecting Portland, Omaha
and Salt Lake City.
Idaho State University began simply
as "a people's school", known as the Academy of Idaho, which offered
college prep courses and industrial courses. It served as a place to
learn for all classes of people in their community; similar to a junior
college. It opened in 1902 with a main building, later called Swanson
Hall, and a 25 bed residence hall for men, later called Faris Hall.
Women started to stay on campus in 1906 when a women's dorm was opened,
later called Turner Hall.
This institution began to grow and
by 1915, it had evolved into the Idaho Technical Institute. Pocatello
had become the population center for the state of Idaho. The School
of Pharmacy was started and the returning veterans caused a huge enrollment
jump, making new construction a must.
It was a 34 year struggle for Idaho
State University to become a 4 year University. First attempt, led by
college President Charles Frazier, was narrowly defeated by the State
Legislation in 1925. Though he was dismissed as president by the State
Board of Education, the Dramatic and Fine Arts building, Frazier Hall
was named for him in 1925. A compromise was finally hammered out in
1927, and the college became The University of Idaho - Southern Branch,
under the wing of the northern college; University of Idaho, though
they had their own budget and financial status. Finally in 1947, University
of Idaho - Southern Branch became Idaho State College.
In 1948, 2000 students filled the
campus, studying in a major offered at one of the four schools - Liberal
Arts, Pharmacy, and Industrial training and Business; But academic opportunities
kept on growing. "In 1959 master’s degrees became available in education,
English, and physics; Pharmacy becoming a five-year program; and establishment
of a two-year program in dental hygiene."
In 1960, Dr. Donald E. Walker became
president and started the push for university status for the college,
which only took 3 years to accomplish. In 1963, the college became Idaho
Growth in academic opportunities,
in campus' physical growth and in student population has taken off since
then. "In 2000, ISU has more than 12,500 students, eight colleges and
schools, 68 bachelor's, 52 master's, and 11 doctoral degrees, and 44
certificate programs in applied technology."
HISTORY OF MANIFESTATIONS:
Frazer Hall - Theatre ISU Campus
Box 8006 | Pocatello, ID 83209 (208) 282-3595
Some elements of the Speech and
Theater Departments are still located here.
Frazier Hall had long been the home
of ISU's fine theatre program. It has 4 floors and basement, a large
800 seat Proscenium theatre, a 140 seat Little Theater, a costume shop,
a design studio and classrooms. Most new theater productions will be
held now in the newly constructed L.E. & Thelma Stephens Performing
Arts Center, a modernized larger building which meets the needs of the
growing student population.
However, it is thought that some
entities still prefer to hang around Frazier Hall.
* An entity named Alex haunts the building.
Loves to play tricks on the living.
* Unseen presences don't allow the fact that
they are dead to stand in the way of their piano practicing or enjoyment
of the theater!
* Apparitions of theater lovers have been known
to appear and sit in the audience.
* Footsteps are heard traveling around the
Graveley Hall - 743 South 8th, Building
15, Pocatello, ID 83209
Departments which are located in
this building include: Anthropology, Economics, Family Medicine & GIS
Training and Research.
Named after Lottie M. Graveley,
who was the first woman to be appointed to the state board of education.
Built in 1939 to be a women's residence hall, It was later renovated
and structurally changed into classrooms and offices. Several people
committed suicide in this building.
* A strong presence is felt in the building.
* Just locked windows have been found opened
a few minute later when no one else living was in the building.
* An obliging, friendly entity has been known
to open doors for the living.
Stories from the custodians and
others who find themselves in these buildings have given their testimonies.
Ghosts of Idaho paranormal investigators have done some investigating,
and have listed both buildings as being haunted.