(Back to Haunted Movies Index)
Sam's spirit hangs around their dream apartment at first, wishing to comfort his grieving love, but can't do so. When his murderer comes back into the apartment, but leaves when scratched by the cat, Sam follows Willie back to Willie's place on the rundown side of town. Sam decides to seek the help of spiritualist, Oda May Brown (Whoopi), who was a charlatan, until she gets involved with Sam, which unblocks her sixth sense, so she can truly help both the living and the dead; instead of pretending to have "the gift."
When he finds out who is really behind his murder, and why he was killed, Sam not only resolves to protect Molly, but also get some justice for this personal disaster, with the help of the reformed Oda May Brown.
The direction and pacing of the movie was well done. Whoopi Goldberg really provides a stellar performance that integrates her enormous comedic talent with her acting ability, which earned her a supporting actress academy award; 1990.
Tony Goldwyn was excellent as the villain, showing many sides of the feelings of his character's emotions and weaknesses.
Patrick and Demi worked very well together, convincing and touching the audience with their individual and team performances. This film showcases one of their best performances.
Favorite scenes include: Sam meets Oda May, Oda May's trip to the bank with Sam, Willie and Sam's apartment chase scene, the night scene in the dream apartment, with Molly, Sam, and Oda May, and the final chase & fight scene with the fantastic ending.
Characteristics of the Supernatural seen in GHOST
1) Sam didn't go the first time when the light came for him. Many ghosts/spirits choose not to cross over because of the suddenness of their deaths or don't want to leave loved ones or feel they have unfinished business.
2) Sam wasn't a ghost, but a spirit, because he had his full thinking mind and could go anywhere he wanted; wasn't stuck haunting a dwelling or a person. (Hans Holzer's definition of a ghost & spirit)
3) Sam, in the movie freaks out the cat, which attacks Willie to make him leave the apartment. Many Ghosts/spirits can effect animals. (Queen Mary)
4) Sam, in the movie, learns from another ghost how to move physical objects, using his mind and emotions. Ghosts/spirits have moved objects. We don't know how they can, but the script offers an interesting theory as how they can do so.
5) Ghosts/Spirits have gone into medium's bodies to directly communicate with the living.
6) Most mediums can hear, feel presences and sometimes see entities.
7) People often feel cold spots, which indicate the presence of spirits (Whaley House) It was odd that the spirit of Sam didn't leave any cold spots.